Travel Spotlight

RVing FAQs

We have compiled some RVing FAQ s that we have received from people looking to lodge in British Columbia and have put it together for your convenience.

Q. Who is listed in the RV section of this website?

A. Members of the BC Lodging and Campgrounds Association offering overnight RV site rentals to the travelling public in independently run campgrounds and RV parks. RV Dealers and Rental Agencies that pay a listing fee. Want to connect your business to travellers visiting this site? Please see our Membership Page

Q. Do RV parks offer pricing deals or stay promotions?

A. If you are travelling on a budget or in the off-season then visit our special offers page where many excellent rates and offers are available see our Special Offers Page

Q. Do you have a Customer Service Guarantee?

A. BC Lodging and Campgrounds Association has implemented a Customer Service Guarantee which all accommodation members are asked to adhere to in the operation of their businesses. Visit our Customer Service Page

Q. Are properties inspected by an independent body?

A. No. Properties are no longer inspected by Destination BC. This independent onsite inspection to meet an Accommodation Approved status was discontinued in 2014. On this website we carry TripAdvisor peer reviews and ratings to assist you in making your selection. They are located in the details pages of the listings.

Q. Where can I make a complaint about a property?

A. Complaints about accommodation facilities should first be discussed with the manager of the establishment and, if not resolved, be directed to Tourism Business Customer Service, Destination British Columbia, 12th floor, 510 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC V6C 3A8 or email

Q. What taxes will I have to pay on my RV site?

A.The federal Good and Services Tax (GST) is charged on RV site rentals and the current GST rate is 5%. Campsite rentals are exempt from the Provincial Sales Tax (PST) so PST is not charged.

Q. I live in the US and would like to bring my RV into British Columbia and leave it there for the summer season. What are the laws around this?

A. You can temporarily import a recreational vehicle to British Columbia for your personal use, however if you plan to leave it here between visits you must have first reported to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and obtained a Form BSF375, CBSA Report (formerly known as Form E99). The form must be displayed on your vehicle and be easily available to prove that you brought the RV into BC legally. For more information on Canada customs regulations call 1-800-461-9999 within Canada or 204-983-3500 outside Canada or visit

Q. What are the RV towing regulations in British Columbia?

A. Most recreational vehicles weigh less than 4,600 kg and can be driven by a driver with a passenger car driver’s license (Class 5 or 7 in British Columbia). An air brake endorsement is required if the trailer has air brakes. For more towing details, visit

Q. Where do I dispose of the grey water and sewage (black water) from my RV holding tanks in BC?

A. Sani-stations are found at various locations throughout the province, including campgrounds, RV parks, some gas stations and RV dealerships. For a list of places to dump go to RVers are asked to respect the environment by disposing of grey water and sewage in the proper fashion.

Q. Are campfires allowed in British Columbia RV parks?

A. Campfires are allowed in most RV Parks, however occasionally campfire bans are implemented in extreme dry weather conditions. For information go to The smoke from campfires pollutes the environment therefore we suggest you limit your use of campfires to cooking and warmth. Do not leave campfires unattended.

Q. Do RV parks have pet policies?

A. Most RV parks/campgrounds allow pets (dogs) however they are usually required to be on a leash at all times. Some campgrounds provide off leash sections for pet owners. Pets should not be left at the campsite unattended. Campgrounds may have specific pet policies. Please check with the campground before you arrive.

Q. What animal wildlife will I encounter?

A. British Columbia is fortunate to have an abundance of wildlife and many animals can be seen from the provincial highways. Black bear and deer will often come down to the roadside to feed on new grass and berries and drivers are advised not to stop or get out of the car. Mountain sheep, moose and other wild animals can also be seen in different regions of the province and at different times of the year.

Q. What are the driving conditions like?

A. During the summer, provincial highways in British Columbia are kept in good condition, however in the winter, snow and ice is prevalent in many areas of the province and while they are generally kept clear, the mountain passes will require chains. For information on road conditions 24-hours a day, check the Drive BC website at The website also includes links to various other information sources such as Inland Ferry Schedules, BC Ferries Waits, Border Crossing Times and Major Incidents and Road Closures.

Q. Do I need to make a reservation for BC Ferries?

A. Reservations on BC Ferries are available but not required. For information on schedules, rates and reservations call BC Ferries at 1-888-223-3779 from within BC or 250-386-3431 from out of province or visit

Q. What are the Driving Licence Requirements?

A. A valid out-of-province driver’s license including an international driver’s license can be used in British Columbia for up to six months.

Q. Are there any toll highways or bridge tolls in British Columbia?

A. There are currently two tolled bridges in British Columbia. The Golden Ears Bridge which spans the Fraser River and connects Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge to Langley; And the Port Mann Bridge which spans the Fraser River along Highway 1 between Coquitlam and Surrey as drivers enter or leave Metro Vancouver. An electronic tracking device captures the vehicle as it crosses the bridge. The toll charge depends on vehicle type and size. There are no tolled highways in BC.

For answers to general travel FAQ’s please visit the Travel Advice section.

Camping Lodging

The Super Camping / Select Lodging Guide

First Published in 1989